Thursday, July 2, 2015

David Copperfield

David Copperfield
by Charles Dickens


It was a very loooooong read and reminds me of the Filipino saying "pagkahaba haba man ng prusisyon, sa simbahan din ang tuloy," (literally: "however long the procession, the church is the destination"), which means that whatever twists and turns a relationship may take, if it's meant to be, it will be.

In fact, the journey was so long, I could not recall who was Mr. Littimer by the end of the book. And it was very tempting to skip over the letters of Mr. Micawber. The style was so opposed to what I learned in college about concise business writing, it was a bit wearying.

But I am happy to know the original David Copperfield (and not the magician of my childhood). And the long journey to Chapter 62 was essential to its sweetness. At least, having made the journey, I can simply go back to that chapter to relive the happy ending.

The fidelity and steadfastness of Agnes Wickfield was refreshing. It reminds me of the book I kissed dating goodbye by Joshua Harris. The old-fashioned values shining through in the various characters is actually a breath of fresh air. It brings into question what we may have lost in our modern culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment